Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Hunger Games" Book Page Necklace

Hello, all! If you know me at all, you know just how much I enjoy books. After all, I do have a degree in Library Media, so really it comes with the territory. I read as often as I can, and as such I've picked up many many MANY books over the course of my life, several of which have become favorites. Have you read The Hunger Games trilogy yet? If not, YOU NEED TO! I love these books, and I've been really excited for the movie ever since I heard they were actually making one. In my little circle of friends, we enjoy nothing more than getting all hyped up for a midnight movie premiere, then dressing our best and attending with other fans. That being said, I've had my tickets for the midnight premiere of The Hunger Games for over a month now, and the day is nearly here! I knew that I wanted to deck out in Hunger Games gear when I attended the premiere, so the gears in my head started spinning, and I remembered some picture frame pendants that I picked up at Hobby Lobby several weeks ago, fully intending to make a necklace for my Grandmother with pictures of us Grandkids inside. Needless to say, when I started plotting to make some Hunger Games jewelry for the premiere, that necklace never got made. Instead, I used that picture frame pendant to make the necklace I'm featuring below. Its OK, though. I'll pick up another pendant the next time that I'm in Hobby Lobby, and get that to her by Mother's Day! I fully intended on posting this earlier in the week so that others could make their own Hunger Games necklace for the premiere, but alas, I am still a procrastinator, even though I've been out of college for a semester now.



Hunger Games Book Page Necklace

You Need:
  • A picture frame pendant
  • A chain to put your finished pendant on
  • Additional charms for your necklace (I added an arrowhead charm for Katniss!)
  • You may need jump rings to attach your pendant to your chain, or charms to your necklace
  • Jewelry pliers are always handy for attaching jump rings
  • Old book pages ( I know it seems like sacrilige to cut up a book. I suppose that you could copy the passage you'd like to use, but only if you feel comfortable breaking copyright laws. Thankfully, I have two copies of Mockingjay, one of which has severe water damage throughout. One must be careful while reading books on a raft in the swimming pool. I have learned this.
Directions:

1. Prepare your pendant by taking the glass out, and making sure that it is clean. You wouldn't want to assemble your pendant, only to find out that the other side of the glass or plastic is dirty. Here is the type of pendant that I used for this project, along with my other supplies.


2. Cut the book page you've picked out to fit your frame. My frame is clear on both sides, so I had to to cut two squares for mine. You may only have to cut out one, it just depends on your frame. Make sure to trim the edges so that your paper doesn't wrinkle when you put it in the frame. After inserting your quote, close up your pendant.




3. Attach any charms or beads onto your pendant. I chose an arrowhead (I wanted a whole arrow, but couldn't find one), since it represents Katniss so well.





4. Its time to attach your pendant to your necklace. I used a jump ring to attach mine, but you may be able to simply slide yours onto your chain. Like I said earlier, this all depends on the kind of pendant that you purchased.


Now you can wear around your awesome Hunger Games necklace, and when other fans ask you where you got it, you can proudly tell them that you made it yourself! Hopefully, you'll have time to make your own before the premiere of the movie! May the odds be ever in your favor!






2 comments:

  1. very cute! A friend at work let me borrow The Hunger Games & I read it in 2 days, which is fast for me ;) I can't wait to get my hands on the second book! I hope you have a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely need to get your hands on a copy of "Catching Fire" ASAP! You'll love it! And we did have a great time!

    ReplyDelete