Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings

Hello, all! We've been experiencing some weird weather as of late in my beautiful home-state. One day, its raining. The next, its snowing. Two days later, it may be sunny with a high of  °75. Just a few days ago, tornadoes ripped through several counties in this great state, and left towns destroyed and families displaced from their homes. I encourage all of you to give all that you can to disaster relief efforts that will benefit these families. I know that there are several drop off locations in Letcher County that are collecting non-perishable food items, cleaning supplies, baby items, blankets, and other supplies. I know that all supplies, support, and prayers are welcome.

As I'm typing this, I hear birds singing outside of my front door. It is warm, sunny, and beautiful in this little hollow that I live in. A few days ago, this is what I saw outside of my front door.


Believe it or not, there IS a road there. This was only an hour or so after the snow started coming down. Needless to say, Josh and I didn't leave Doty Creek for a few days. Winter weather always makes me want to curl up on the couch with a good book, and something warm and yummy to eat. During this particular winter storm, I decided that I didn't want chili, or any other kind of soup, but I wanted something low maintenance that I could stick in a crock pot, and cook all day long. So, I broke out the trusty First Baptist Church Cookbook, and started browsing.

I LOVE my First Baptist Church Cookbook. I basically learned to cook using the recipes of the men and women that helped build my church. If you know me at all, you know that I have been a member of First Baptist since I was born in 1987. I grew up in my church, and love my church family like my real family. That is why this cookbook is so special to me. Its like a little part of my Church history, and so its like a little part of my history.


After I started flipping through the cook book (which has a whole section dedicated entirely to slow cookers), I found a recipe for crock pot chicken and dumplings. It sounded so good, that I just had to try it. It certainly didn't disappoint. The best part is that I got to throw everything into the crock pot, and let it do all of the hard work for me. I even had time to go outside and roll around in the snow with my Siberian Husky!


She looooooves snow! She was so excited that she couldn't stand still! This was the only picture that she would stand still for! After rolling around in the snow with Nami, I came back in and got warm with a nice bowl of chicken and dumplings, then curled up with a good book. After finishing off a second bowl for lunch the next day, I knew that I had to share this recipe with you!

Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Slightly modified from the recipe of Mrs. Peyton Reynolds

You need:

4 chicken breasts (the recipe calls for boneless, but I just used the split breasts that I had in the freezer)
2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups of water
1/3 cup of onion, finely chopped
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 (10 oz.) cans of refrigerated biscuits

Directions:

1. Cut the chicken breasts into small chunks. Since I used split breasts, I boiled them for about 20 minutes with some butter, then pulled the chicken from the bone in chunks after cooling.


2. Combine all ingredients, except for biscuits, in the crock pot.



 3. Cover, and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.

4. Tear biscuit dough into 3-4 pieces, and gently stir into the crock pot.


5. Cook an additional 40-45 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked through.

6. ENJOY!



 I hope that you love this recipe as much as I do! When I asked Josh if he liked it, all he could do was give me thumbs up, because he was too busy eating! Happy cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment