Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Taco Casserole

Happy belated Valentine's day, all! Hope that you Valentine's Day was as good as mine! I got to spend the day with Josh, which is always wonderful. This was our first Valentine's Day as a married couple, but our ninth since the two of us got together. I decided to cook dinner for the two of us, and we knew right away that we wanted something Mexican-ish. I'm sick of tacos, and so is Josh. I love a good taco and all, but I can only eat them so many times. So, I brought out the faithful First Baptist Church Cookbook, and started browsing. This was the recipe that I came across, and decided to try. We both loved it, and it will definitely be making another appearance at our dinner table. Its a very yummy alternative to tacos when you're craving some yummy Mexican food.

Taco Casserole

You need:

1 lb of ground beef
1 envelope of taco seasoning
1/2 cup of onions
1 can (16 oz.) of refried beans
1/2 of a 12 oz. jar of picante hot sauce
1 can (8 oz.) of tomato sauce
1-2 cans of crescent rolls
1/3 cup of corn meal
1 bag of cheese (I used mexican blend, but any type of cheddar would probably be good)
lettuce
tomatoes
green onions
sour cream

Directions:

1. Preheat the over to 375 degrees.

2. Brown the hamburger meat and onions together. Drain.

3. Add taco seasoning (do not add water), refried beans, tomato sauce, and picante sauce. Mix well.



4. Use the crescent rolls to make a crust on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. I only used one can, but feel free to use two if you like a thicker crust.


5. Coat the crust in oil, then sprinkle the cornmeal on top of it.


6. Spread the meat mixture on top of the crust.


7. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. After baking, remove from oven, and cover with grated cheese. Return to the oven until cheese is fully melted.


8. After cheese is melted, remove from oven. Cover with taco toppings like lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, and sour cream. Enjoy (You can clearly see that Josh enjoyed it; some of it was missing before I could get my camera to take a picture)!


Hope you enjoy! I think we'll be seeing a lot of taco casserole in this house. I'll be back later this week with some more great stuff for you to try! Until then, happy baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment